Flying Butterfly Craft: Straw and Construction Paper Butterfly
Make this impressive butterfly with craft supplies you already have lying around.
You will need: construction paper (2 colors for each butterfly), scissors, a cup and a pencil (for tracing circles), pipe cleaner, straws, and brads.
1. Trace the butterfly wings on one sheet of construction paper using the cup as shown.
2. Stack the paper on another color sheet and cut out both sheets using the outline you drew.
3. Decorate the butterfly wings by coloring, or cutting snowflake-like designs in one layer of wings, or both, depending on your child’s age and ability.
4. Stack both sets of wings and fold in half. Unfold and place a straw in the fold. Use a pipe cleaner to make antennae. Push the end of the antennae into the straw far enough to hold them in place. Use the brads to fasten the straw ‘body’ and antennae to the wings.
5. If you want, cut a slit in the end of the straw and slip in another straw for your child to hold while they ‘fly’ the butterfly.